Monday, June 6, 2011

Sick of the Scale

Seriously.


I’m just so tired of it! I’m tired of it being the gauge of whether I had a successful week of exercise and eating right. I’m tired of it being the source of my good mood on Fridays. I want to cut the rope!

How do I do this though?

The scale is super important when you’re trying to lose weight. Sure I can take my measurements but that doesn’t tell me if my weight has decreased. In fact, I could measure myself and have lost inches but then step on the scale and be the same weight I was for the past few weeks.

But should the number on the scale really matter? Should I really let that number define me?

Of course the answer to both of those questions is no. I know this but I don’t necessarily know if I agree. It’s true that no matter what I weigh if my clothes fit and I feel good, that’s what should matter but I want to be a healthy weight. I want to go to the doctors and have him tell me I now have a healthy BMI, and in order to achieve that my weight has to decrease.

I continue to eat well and workout hard. I am loving the way I feel lately, healthy and strong but I have been stuck between the same 4 pounds since February and that is frustrating! This is the reason I am sick of the scale, because no matter how hard I work lately, it isn’t giving me what I want and know I deserve. I feel as though I am fighting an uphill battle and the scale is winning.

Have you cut the rope between you and the scale or how have you learned to control your emotions in regards to the scale?


PS: I tried to add pics but the photo uploader wouldn't work.  Sorry! 

3 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm struggling with that a lot too lately. Every measure of health I've done recently says that I'm healthy... except for the scale/BMI. I don't know why I feel so tied to reducing the number on the scale but it's such an intense drive.

You're doing great work, maybe try to put your accomplishments first in priority and have the scale be a backup measure of success?

Julia @ The Bosky Blog said...

I use to be seriously obsessed with the scale. I would weigh myself constantly.

Once the weigh ins become less official, I became less obsessed.

If it's killing you, why not cut down to ONE monthly weigh in and ride that high for the next three weeks?

Becky said...

The scale no longer defines me. Being on WW for as long as I have been (since I was 19... I'm 26 now....) I've FINALLY come to terms with the fact that I'm more interested in how I feel, how I look and how my clothes fit me. Number one though is how I FEEL.

As you know I got married recently and honestly, I was up about 10 pounds from when I bought my dress. But, it still fit and I felt GORGEOUS all day. I've never felt prettier, I've never been happier with who I am and how far I have come and it had nothing to do with my weight.

Yes, the scale helps to gauge where you are, but it doesn't define how you feel or how your clothes fit. It is just a number and you just have to keep telling yourself that it has nothing to do with who you really are and what really makes you feel good.

Hang in there. ☺